Breast Surgery in Melbounre
Dr Patrick Briggs is an experienced Specialist Plastic Surgeon who performs breast surgery in Melbourne.
Dr Briggs uses the very latest techniques in breast surgery to produce natural results that will enhance your look.
If you are considering a Breast Augmentation, Breast Lift/Mastopexy (with or without implants), Breast Reduction or Removal of Breast Implants call Dr Briggs rooms and make an appointment to discuss the best option for your requirements.
What is Breast Surgery?
Breast surgery refers to a group of procedures aimed at enhancing the appearance of your breasts, correcting breast deformities, or reconstructing your breasts after surgical removal. The type of breast surgery that your breast surgeon will perform will depend on your condition, body type, and aesthetic goals.
Am I a Good Candidate?
To ensure that you will receive the best breast surgery, your breast surgeon will assess your condition, health history, amount of breast tissue, lifestyle, and desired cosmetic goals during your consultation. In general, you are a good candidate for breast surgery if:
- You are in good overall health.
- You don’t have a bleeding or clotting disorder.
- You don’t have an extreme degree of breast sagging.
- You have breast sagging due to aging, pregnancy, breastfeeding, or significant weight loss.
- You have low self-esteem due to the appearance of your breasts.
- You have complications associated with primary breast surgery.
- You have a good amount of breast tissue.
- You have inverted nipples.
- You have overly large breasts that cause skin irritation, redness, infection, back pain, headaches, and other discomforts.
- You have realistic expectations regarding the procedure.
- You want to replace your breast implants.
- You’re willing to commit to a healthy lifestyle after surgery.
What are the Benefits?
If performed by a top surgeon, breast surgery can offer the following benefits:
- Breast contour that is in proportion with the rest of your body
- Improved body posture
- Improved breast appearance
- Improved quality of life
- Increased self-confidence
- Lower risk of skin irritation, infection, and other physical discomforts
- More clothing options
- Positive outlook in life
Real patient results of breast augmentation.
What are the Most Popular Breast Surgery Procedures
The following are the well-known breast procedures:
- Breast augmentation: This surgical procedure makes use of breast implants to enlarge your breasts.
- Breast lift: This procedure involves reshaping and lifting your breast by removing excess skin and fat.
- Breast reduction: This procedure involves the removal of excess fat, skin, and breast tissue to achieve a breast contour that is in proportion with your body.
- Breast implant revision surgery: The surgery is done to replace your old, ageing implants.
- Breast implant removal: This surgical procedure is performed to correct complications of your primary breast augmentation.
- Inverted Nipple Correction: This procedure reshapes your areola and nipple so that the nipple comes out from your breast.
- Mummy makeover surgery: This is a combination of procedures aimed at improving the appearance of your breasts and abdomen after pregnancy.
Frequently Asked Questions
This will depend on the degree of skin sagging. If you have extreme sagging of the skin, another procedure may be needed to lift your breasts so that they appear younger and well-defined. Breast implants are recommended for patients with a mild degree of skin sagging. During your consultation with a top surgeon, your breast condition will be first assessed if you are a good candidate for breast implants.
It is recommended to postpone pregnancy for at least 6 months after your surgery. This allows your breasts to adjust to its new shape and size.
Make sure to verify the policy of your private health insurance to determine if you can make a claim on the costs of your desired procedure. Usually, if a breast surgery is done for cosmetic purposes, your private health insurance will not pay for your procedure. On the other hand, if the goal of your boob surgery is to treat a certain medical condition (e.g. reduction mammoplasty), then you are eligible for a health insurance claim. By consulting with a renowned specialist plastic surgeon, you will know not only your treatment options but also your financing options.
It is important to keep in mind that the recovery time of breast surgery may vary from patients to patients. Some patients may require shorter downtime while others will take several weeks to recover. The length of your recovery will greatly depend on several factors such as the extent and type of your surgery, your healing ability, your body type, and your treatment goals. Immediately after your surgery, you may experience soreness, bruising, and pain on your surgical site. These discomforts can be alleviated by taking pain relievers and anti-inflammatories. To support your healing breasts, you may need to wear a support bra or compression garments. In addition, you will be advised to prevent strenuous activities to avoid tension on your suture lines.
Just like recovery time, the costs and prices of breast surgery may also vary. This will greatly depend on several factors such as your surgeon’s fees, anaesthetist’s fees, hospital fees, type of surgery and anaesthesia used, and your desired breast surgery results. To get a detailed estimate of the total costs of your procedure, schedule a consultation with a renowned plastic surgeon.
The following are the risks associated with the procedure:
- Allergic reaction to the anaesthetic
- Capsular contracture
- Changes in skin sensation
- Delayed wound healing
- Implant leakage or rupture
- Increasing pain at the surgical site
- Numbness in one or both breasts
- Possibility of revision surgery
- Pus draining from your wound
- Rippling of the implant
- Severe swelling
- Skin discolouration
- Skin loss
- Sutures that protrude through the skin
- Unwanted scarring
- Wound dehiscence
Anaesthesia – Drugs used during a surgical procedure to relieve pain and other discomforts.
Capsular contracture – A complication of breast augmentation that is characterized by the formation of a tight scar around the implant.
Hematoma – Visible pooling of blood under your skin.
Hemorrhage – Uncontrolled bleeding
Revision surgery – A procedure that involves replacement, repositioning, or removal of breast implants to correct poor cosmetic results and complications.
Rippling of the implant – Visible folds and wrinkles in your skin due to improper implant placement.
Seroma – Build-up of body fluids at the surgical site.
Wound dehiscence – Partial or total separation of wound edges after it has been sutured.
Choosing the Best Plastic Surgeon in Australia
There are huge differences between cosmetic surgeons and plastic surgeons concerning their education, training, qualifications, operating rights and more. Dr Patrick Briggs is a highly experienced plastic surgery expert and member of FRCS, ISAPS, ASAPS and ASPS, all of which are protected medical titles and ensure a certain (minimum) level of expertise and experience. Moreover, he is a specialist plastic surgeon that is qualified to operate in accredited hospitals around Australia.
Plastic Versus Cosmetic Surgeons
There are definite benefits to choosing a plastic surgeon over a cosmetic surgeon, and it is important for you to know who your surgeon really is. Advertising is often deceptive, and “cosmetic surgeons” are NOT specialist plastic surgeons. A cosmetic surgeon could just be a regular GP who has decided to perform body surgery, whereas a qualified specialist plastic surgeon will have years of study and membership from their governing body (ASAPS, ASPS, ASPS-USA, ISAPS).
Unfortunately, it doesn’t require much training to become a ‘cosmetic surgeon’ in Australia, the existing medical laws allow almost any doctor with basic qualifications to perform these surgeries, should they choose to. Not all surgeons who perform all body surgeries in Melbourne have extensive training.
Why Choose Dr Briggs?
Dr Briggs is a highly skilled and well-trained Specialist Plastic Surgeon with experience in all fields of plastic and cosmetic surgery. He has worked in the field of cosmetic and plastic surgery for over 20 years and is specialised in breast procedures.
He performs surgeries with extreme precision and up-to-date approaches. Book a consultation now to begin your journey.
About Our Plastic Surgeon – Dr Patrick Briggs FRCS (Plast)
Dr Patrick Briggs offers high quality, natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results and is vastly experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice. With world-wide expertise Dr Patrick Briggs is an expert in breast, face and body surgery for men and women.
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- Email us or Call on 1300 264 811 to arrange your initial consultation appointment with Dr Patrick Briggs.
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral.
- Your initial Consultation Booking Fee with a Specialist Surgeon is usually $300 and your booking fee is paid ahead of your appointment and will secure your consultation date. You can pay by phone by calling us to affirm payment or book an appointment time. We have online payment methods if necessary.
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take notes and read the literature provided on the procedures thoroughly
- Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Organise an Online Virtual Consultation with Dr Patrick Briggs
- Browse our website, Facebook and Instagram for further information on your procedure
Please contact us using our contact form to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our reception staff who will be able to provide you with further information.