Thigh Lift Surgery in Melbourne
Thigh Lift Surgery in Melbourne, VIC
Are you unhappy with the appearance of your thighs? Do you have stubborn fat in your thigh region that doesn’t respond to regular diet and exercise? Are you suffering from skin irritation, pain, or chaffing due to excessive friction from excess skin after massive weight loss on your highs? If you’re experiencing these conditions, you may benefit from Thigh Lift Surgery. This surgical procedure removes excess skin and fat in your thighs, resulting in smoother, firmer, and younger-looking thighs.
What Causes Sagging Skin the Leads to Thigh Lift Surgery?
Several factors can contribute to the development of sagging thighs, including:
- Ageing: The age-related collagen loss causes your skin to become less elastic, which makes sagging more noticeable.
- Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS): This is a rare, inherited connective tissue disorder that is characterized by impaired collagen production, resulting in sagging skin.
- Weight fluctuations: Being overweight or obese damages your collagen and elastin fibres. After a significant weight loss, you may notice that your skin loses its ability to snap back to its original position, resulting in loose skin.
- Pregnancy: Weight gain during pregnancy stretches your skin. As a result, your skin may sag or become loose after you gave birth.
Am I a Good Candidate for a Thigh Lift
In general, you are a good candidate for the procedure if:
- You’re bothered by the excess skin and fat on the inner, outer, or medial region of your thighs.
- You’re mentally prepared for the procedure
- You’re willing to adhere to your surgeon’s post-op instructions
- You’re committed to living a healthy lifestyle after the procedure.
- You don’t have a history of clotting or bleeding disorders.
- You don’t smoke.
- You have reached your goal weight and it has remained stable.
- You have realistic expectations regarding the procedure.
- You want to stay free from skin irritations caused by sagging skin on your thighs.
What are the Benefits of a Thigh Lift?
The procedure can offer the following benefits:
- Better body proportion
- Increased self-confidence and self-esteem
- More clothing options
- A more toned appearance of your thighs
- Reduced risk of skin irritation in your thigh region
What Happens During the Procedure?
Intravenous sedation and general anaesthesia are administered during the procedure to prevent any discomfort. Depending on your condition and desired cosmetic results, Dr Briggs will perform the following incision techniques in your thighs:
- Inner thigh lift incision: Dr Briggs creates an incision starting from your groin and around the back of your thigh.
- Medial thigh lift incision: Also known as inner thigh lift incision, the incision is made in the area between your thighs and pubic region.
- Outer thigh lift incision: Dr Briggs makes an incision starting from your groin going to the area around your hip and across your back.
Once the incisions are created, Dr Briggs will remove excess fat and skin from your thighs to reshape the area. He will then close the incisions using sutures, apply adhesive tapes and dressings that will stay in place until your post-operative appointment.
Does Thigh Lift Correct Skin Sagging after Massive Weight Loss?
Several lines of evidence support the safety and efficacy of a thigh lift in improving the contour of the thighs.
In a 2019 study, researchers reported that medial thigh lift safely provided aesthetic improvement in patients with massive weight loss. 
In another study, researchers found a significant improvement in the appearance of the thighs of women who had a medial thigh lift. The procedure was also free of major complications. 
Finally, a 2020 study showed that thigh lift improved thigh appearance as well as the psychological and social aspects of life in patients who had massive weight loss. 
Are you planning to get rid of the sagging skin in your thighs? Do you want your thighs to achieve smoother, younger-looking skin with natural results? Schedule a consultation with one of our highly experienced surgeons now to know your treatment options.
What are the Risks and Complications?
The procedure comes with risks and complications, such as:
- Allergic reaction to anaesthesia
- Changes in skin sensation
- Delayed wound healing
- Difficulty moving one or both legs
- Fluid accumulation
- Nerve damage
- Poor cosmetic results
- Possible need for revisional surgery
- Recurrent looseness of skin on your thighs
- Separation or reopening of the wound
- Skin discoloration
- Skin irritation caused by suture spitting
- Unsightly scarring
Recovery from Thigh Lift Surgery
After your thigh lift surgery, your surgical incisions may feel tender and you may be in some discomfort. You may need to take pain relief and anti-inflammatories as directed to reduce discomfort. If your condition is stable, Dr Briggs will allow you to go home and will provide you with prescriptions, wound care instructions, and your post-operative appointment will be scheduled.
Your recovery time will depend on the extent of your surgery. It is recommended to rest as much as possible and avoid any unnecessary movements to prevent tension on your incision lines. After 1 month, bruising and swelling of your incision sites are usually gone. In 4 to 6 months, you can typically engage in strenuous activities and you can resume your daily routine.
Thigh Lift Surgery Cost
All Surgery is customised and you will be given a cost for Thigh Lift Surgery. It will depend on the type of procedure you are having, the hospital you attend and the length of your stay.
At your initial consultation, you are given a detailed quote. This will include your Dr Briggs’ fee, Anaesthetist fee and the hospital fees.
We also provide information on Private Health Insurance, arm reduction surgery payment plan plus other different ways to pay for Thigh Lift Surgery surgery.
Why Choose Dr Patrick Briggs?
With a wealth of experience and training, Dr Patrick Briggs is dedicated to best practice patient care and education, customising Thigh Lift Surgery for each and every patient to best meet their needs and desired surgical outcomes.
Dr Patrick Briggs fully qualified with current ASPS and ASAPS memberships. Also, when choosing a Plastic Surgeon word of mouth is always a great way to gain further knowledge.
Our Specialist Plastic Surgeon, Dr Patrick Briggs offers high quality, natural-looking cosmetic surgery results and is highly experienced in Thigh Lift Surgery and other procedures following massive weight loss.
About Our Plastic Surgeon – Dr Patrick Briggs FRCS (Plast)
Dr Patrick Briggs offers high quality, natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results and is vastly experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice. With world-wide expertise Dr Patrick Briggs is an expert in breast, face and body surgery for men and women.
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- Email us or Call on 1300 264 811 to arrange your initial consultation appointment with Dr Patrick Briggs.
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral.
- Your initial Consultation Booking Fee with a Specialist Surgeon is usually $300 and your booking fee is paid ahead of your appointment and will secure your consultation date. You can pay by phone by calling us to affirm payment or book an appointment time. We have online payment methods if necessary.
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take notes and read the literature provided on the procedures thoroughly
- Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Organise an Online Virtual Consultation with Dr Patrick Briggs
- Browse our website, Facebook and Instagram for further information on your procedure
Please contact us using our contact form to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our reception staff who will be able to provide you with further information.
Di Pietro V, Gianfranco MC, Cervelli V, Gentile P. Medial Thigh Contouring in Massive Weight Loss: A Liposuction-Assisted Medial Thigh Lift. World J Plast Surg. 2019;8(2):171-180. doi:10.29252/wjps.8.2.171.
Labardi L, Gentile P, Gigliotti S, Marianetti M, Colicchia GM, Pascali M, Brinci L, Cervelli V. Medial thighplasty: horizontal and vertical procedures after massive weight loss. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2012 Jan;5(1):20-5. doi: 10.4103/0974-2077.94330. PMID: 22557851; PMCID: PMC3339123.
Paul MA, Opyrchał J, Knakiewicz M, Jaremków P, Duda-Barcik Ł, Ibrahim AMS, Lin SJ. The long-term effect of body contouring procedures on the quality of life in morbidly obese patients after bariatric surgery. PLoS One. 2020 Feb 21;15(2):e0229138. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0229138. PMID: 32084189; PMCID: PMC7034793.